March 25 - April 3
Early Release March 24 at Noon!
A parent's presence and participation in learning is vital to your child's success in school. A simple way of expressing this value is to observe your child's classroom. We encourage parents to visit the classroom at least one time per year. To visit a classroom, please check the class calendar and contact your child's teacher. We allow a maximum of two parents to be visiting in a class per day.
Observation, though, is only a visit. True involvement is action and children respond to such action. Studies consistently demonstrate that parental involvement in their child's education equals academic success (click here to view art). To that end, FHM requests 30 hours of volunteer work by parents each year and offers a myriad of opportunities to fulfill this commitment. These include:
- Serving on a Leadership Team: FHM has three leadership teams that together with the administrative team form the core of the leadership and organization of FHM. The administrative team works in concert with the three leadership teams to further the mission of FHM in delivering a comprehensive program grounded in Montessori educational excellence. We hope you will consider serving FHM in one of these meaningful, vital ways. Information about how to serve can be found on each team’s page of the FHM website under the School Leadership tab.
- Board of Directors - The role of the FHM Board of Directors is to set policy and direction for the School and to assure the School is run in compliance with its charter, all applicable laws, and contractual obligations.
- School Accountability Committee - If you are a number-cruncher at heart, this is the perfect place for you to fulfill your 30-hour/year volunteer commitment for your family. The SAC is primarily focused on three areas: academics, safety, and creating a school environment that is welcoming for FHM families.
- Community Support Network/FHM Foundation - The CSN is similar to a PTO but so much more. It is a Parent-Teacher partnership supporting the students of Free Horizon Montessori through fundraising and volunteerism. The CSN board is made up of 9+ parents and a staff liaison – all dedicated to making Free Horizon Montessori the best school for our children.
- Parent Assistants in the Classroom and Chaperones: Within the classroom, parents read with children, make materials, give unit related assessments, fulfill secretarial responsibilities for the classroom teacher, and much more. Working directly with students requires volunteers to complete of a Parent Orientation (available online), sign a confidentiality agreement, and undergo a background check. Once all three requirements are completed parents are ready to volunteer in the classroom and accompany children on field trips.
Volunteer Orientation Video
- NOTE: After you've watched the training video, please complete the short comprehension quiz here
Background Check Form
- Traffic Management: These vitally important volunteers help ensure the safety of our children during our morning drop off and afternoon pick up times. Training is provided. We award double volunteer hours for those who assist in this essential capacity. Check in with the front office for scheduling details.
- Special Events: Various events are held throughout the school year. Whether school-wide or classroom based, we usually need volunteers to assist with planning and implementing the event, set up and clean up, marketing, and various other activities. Examples of events held in the past include: Fun Run, Back-to-School Night, Book Fair, Science & Engineering Fair, Spring Fling Auction Fundraiser, Field Day, and more.
Other Volunteer Opportunities: There are many ways to learn what help is needed. Watch the Fox Flash for volunteer opportunities, ask your child’s teacher to help in the classroom, attend the Volunteer Fair (usually in September), Check the CSN website http://www.fhmcsn.org/ under Volunteer
UNDER SCHOOL LEADERSHIP CSN page (at the bottom)
How can YOU get involved?
We want you to participate in whatever way you can! Whether you want to organize a fundraising event or just attend one – We Welcome You!
Contact your child’s teacher for classroom opportunities, look for volunteer sign ups in the Fox Flash, or visit the CSN website www.fhmcsn.org under VOLUNTEER.
Click to View the CSN Calendar
Please click here to see the Jeffco Visitors Guidelines.
Jeffco Night at the Denver Nuggets!